Monday, March 23, 2015

THINGS I WISH AN OLDER, EXPERIENCED COACH WOULD HAVE TOLD ME WHEN I WAS YOUNG

Another quick glimpse into Greg Brown's outstanding book,  "The Best Things I've Seen In Coaching," includes an incredible list he got from Coach Don Meyer.  This title of the list should peak your curiosity enough -- Things I Wish An Older, Experienced Coach Would Have Told Me When I Was Young.  The list, compiled by Coach Meyer, has 50 bullet points of outstanding information.  Here is a look at just 10 them:

#2 Be what you is because if you be what you ain't, you ain't what you is.  Kids can spot a phony or con man a mile away.

#12 All the greats know how to keep is simple - Jack Whitaker.

#13 Average tennis players have a great variety of shots while great tennis players his the same old boring winners. -Vic Braden

#24 Who is working for you when you are not there. -Tommy Smith

#25 I never allowed myself or my staff, or our players to get satisfied. -John Wooden

#27 The saddest day of your life will be the day you find that you are no longer productive.

#31 Have a thoughts and notes journal that you keep just for you. -Dick Bennett

#34 Learn who you are and what your game is. -Rick Majerus

#36 Don't wrestle in the mud with a pig because you both get muddy and the pic likes it. (My uncle on administrators)

#44 Teach, teach, teach. You better have good practices. -Al McGuire

Want to see the entire list? Buy the book -- it is so full of great material that Coach Brown learned while working for Coach Meyer and Pat Summitt.  And even more importantly, proceeds from the book will be divided among the Meyer and Summitt Foundations.

For ordering information, click HERE.