Monday, October 13, 2014

HONESTY (EVEN BRUTAL HONESTY) IS THE BEST POLICY

A well written column on Gregg Popovich by Williams Scott Davis for Business Insider.  You can read it in it's entirety here.  I love Pop's thoughts on communication and honesty in dealing with his players:

“They are different. I just try to be as honest with them as I can. I just think blowing smoke at guys and trying to manipulate guys or trick guys into thinking this, that and the other, it doesn’t work. And it’s tiresome. You got to remember what you told somebody last week. And this week, I can’t do that because I did that, and now I got to do this. That doesn’t work. So if you’re just brutally honest with guys, when they do well, love them and touch them and praise them and if they do poorly, get on their [butt] and let them know it and let them know that you care. And if a player knows that you really care and believes that you can make it better, you got the guy for life.”